Monday, January 10, 2011

Cleft of the Rock

Isaiah 43
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;    
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters,
   I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
   they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
   you will not be burned;
   the flames will not set you ablaze.
3 For I am the LORD your God,
   the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;


I was reminded of this scripture by Edie, a person I consider a friend even though I have never met her. She is over at Life In Grace and is an amazing christian who has encouraged and challenged me with her words, her spirit, her creativity, her heart for her children and her faith in the One True God. She has experienced a great deal of loss, read about it here.  I have been praying for her.
Loss, pain, grief, tragedy...all of us are touched by these. We cannot escape it. But if we know the One True God, we know that He has all things in His hand and He holds us in His hand as well. He could protect us from all the badness and the sadness if He wanted, but He has a bigger plan for us than that. So He places us in the "cleft of the rock", so to speak, where nothing can touch us unless He allows it. If He allows it, then we have to trust that He will bring good from it somehow. He always does.

Psalm 18:2
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.


go to the Faith Barista for more inspirational posts...

FaithBaristaLLogo2

3 comments:

  1. That's a great picture, and a visual reminder of how to pray for him, and for you, as he deals with the loss of his brother. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that song that I said we should sing - it's called "Good to me."- The lyrics in this song remind me of the verse in Psalms that you quoted here.

    I cry out
    For Your hand of mercy to heal me
    I am weak
    I need Your love to free me

    O Lord, my Rock
    My strength in weakness
    Come rescue me, O Lord

    You are my hope
    Your promise never fails me
    And my desire
    Is to follow You forever

    For You are good
    For You are good
    You are so good to me

    For You are good
    For You are good
    You are so good to me

    http://www.youtube.com/user/BrookeAndJeff#p/a/u/1/CqTt-agr2BE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jenn, It's very special to meet you through your word for the year -- TRUST -- and to get a glimpse into your journey, as it begins with loss. It's an honor to share this space. Thank you for adding your voice together at Faith Barista. Beautiful reflection from your soul.

    ReplyDelete